Wednesday, August 12, 2009

1st Day of School

Well, the 2009-10 school year is officially off to a great start for the Hay fam. The kids seemed excited enough.

An annual fave...by the tree, in front of the house.
Miss Lily starting kindergarten.

Miss Lily starting preschool. WOW.


Mr. Landen starting 2nd grade. I kid you not, his hair was FINE when I came outside. I gave it a quick spit shine before he went into school. ;)

Mr. Landen starting 1st grade.

I love getting a picture of the kids in front of the school. Lawson could not be left out. Then, he INSISTED he hold the door, that probably weighs at least five times what he weighs. Such a big kid, he is.

For some brainiac reason, I thought it would be a good idea to drop off Lily, first. To get to her room, we had to walk past another kindergarten room. There was one kid absolutely frantic, chasing his Mom down the hall. There was a hubbub. I can’t tell you exactly what was being said (it all got foggy at that point), but I could hear lots of reassurance and a general “it will be okay” sentiment. The verclemptness begins. I’m not one to caudle and cuddle to extremes. I’m more of a “Yep, you’re fine, you’ll have a great day, see you after school” type, and that’s always worked well for us. But, I am a softie when it comes to my girl. I tried to choke it back, but wow. She did great…GREAT. She looked a little sad, but that’s her normal…kind of her shyness coming out when she’s a little unsure. I have no doubt she’ll be an old pro by the end of the week. However, I’m afraid I’ll be dropping her off for her junior year in high school, STILL crying like a baby! Come to think of it, I probably will, because that will be the first year that she will be the oldest kid in school and Landen should be off to college. Cool, something else to get geared up for, 10 years in advance. :)

I love Lily's outfit. I fell in love with it the moment I saw it. It fit her well and looked so sweet. My big, big girl.


This is where she had looked sad, but I asked her to smile, and she did. I can't wait to hear about her day.

My big 2nd grader...my how the past seven years have flown by. I can't wait to hear about his day, too. This morning, he did awesome, as always. I heard lots of excited voices, coming from his line of classmates, yelling out “Hi Landen!”, so that felt good to know he’s with familiar folks. I know his teacher, and Lily’s, pretty well, so I’m confident they will make both kids’ days great. I've actually already gotten a report that all is well with both kids. :)


So, another first day of school, and kindergarten, down. I should be getting pretty good at this, but every year, it has an elment of difficulty to it. But all in all, we had a great morning.

4 comments:

  1. well- way to hold back the tears! i couldn't even manage to hold them back when we took noah to his 1st mdo.....i am blaming new baby hormones on that one though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're such a good momma! I'm sure she'll have a terrific day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoping your kids have a great day at school. After reading your blog I'm sooooo happy i'm not sending Alec this year cuz i don't know if mommy could handle "letting him go". I had tears in my eyes just from reading your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite part of this post is getting to finally see the HAY sign.
    Karalie

    ReplyDelete